Monastery of Elona

The monastery of Elona is built in a steep rocky slope above the gorge Dafnona. The history of Elona begins in the 14th century when the icon of the Virgin and Child miraculously appeared at this inaccessible place which is now the monastery. The monastery was built in the 16th century and it flourished during the Ottoman rule. Monastery of Elona contributed significantly in the national war of 1821 as evidenced by documents of Peloponnesian Senate. After the liberation was declined, the estate was broken and the monks were expelled. It was reorganized in 1972 and today it works with sorority. The monastery is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and celebrates on August 15.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email