Just 4 miles from the sea, lies the town of Astros. With a population of about 3,000 inhabitants it is the center of the Northern Kynourias and capital of the municipality. The settlement is surrounded by olive groves and stretches around the fertile and extensive plain. The production and processing of agricultural products and especially the oil is the most important economic activity in the region. In recent years tourism has a significant place in the lives of residents. The city with the name “Astros” was officially mentioned for the first time in a golden bull in 1293 by the Emperor Andronicus II Palaeologus. In 1823 the Second National Assembly of the Greeks was held in Astros. The proceedings of the National Assembly were held in Agrokipio beside the School Karytsioti which now belongs to the Archaeological Museum of Astros. Astros is also hosting the EnvironmentalInformationCenter and the headquarters of the Agency Management and wetland conditions of Parnona Moustos.